[arin-ppml] Update for pp149 Improved Transparency for Directed Transfers

Brett Frankenberger rbf+arin-ppml at panix.com
Fri Jun 3 11:20:42 EDT 2011

On Fri, Jun 03, 2011 at 09:57:12AM -0500, Kevin Kargel wrote:

> I actually wouldn't mind seeing the source ASN in the data.  The
> destination ASN is trivial to find so is a non issue.  I don't see
> why this would be an issue, if an ASN is afraid of anyone noticing
> they are transferring blocks there is probably a reason for that the
> community should be aware of anyway.
>
> This is not a deal breaker in any way shape or form and would not
> affect my support.  Just to satisfy my curiosity.

ARIN doesn't really have that information.  ARIN allocates IP addresses
to organizations, not to ASs.  (There are possible hacks.  They could
assume that an org with one ASN is using that ASN for all its IP space,
but that's not necessarily always the case, and some orgs have multiple
ASNs, and so on.)

Historical BGP announcement information is probably the best place to
get this information.  But expecting ARIN to look that up and provide
historical announcement information is probably not realistic.

     -- Brett