[arin-ppml] ARIN-prop-155 IPv4 Number Resources for Use Within Region

Jimmy Hess mysidia at gmail.com
Thu Jul 7 23:51:25 EDT 2011

On Thu, Jul 7, 2011 at 3:15 PM, David Farmer <farmer at umn.edu> wrote:
> On 7/7/11 10:50 CDT, William Herrin wrote:
>> On Thu, Jul 7, 2011 at 10:11 AM, Tony Hain<alh-ietf at tndh.net>  wrote:
> But, I think Tony makes a good argument, there was more of a facilitatory
> intent involved than exclusionary intent in the creation of the RIR system.

There is both a facilitatory and an exclusionary intent inherent to the RIR
system,  for some definition of exclusionary.

But more exclusionary;  if you don't have a presence in ARIN region, and
want an IP address allocation from ARIN's address space --  I say, your
option there should be either, setup a network in the ARIN region,  or buy
services from a  Local Internet Registry (ISP) in the region,  but not
to obtain ARIN resources, become an ARIN member, and vote the board
in a region your organization has no network in.

You can read up on ICP2,  and the RIR system is not  an _inclusionary_
system   where  anyone who feels they can justify an allocation of resources
is free to go demand something from any region they like.

It's an inclusionary system where anyone who has a network is covered by some
RIR's service region, so every org can participate in developing
addressing policy
within the appropriate region.

This allows addressing policy that reflects the needs of members of each region.
And protects members of different regions from any policy desired by many
members of other regions, that are not in the global interest,

but   orgs getting addresses and setting policy in the wrong
region  would be a deformation of the RIR system.

Without the RIR system, large regions could have a very large influence, while
the needs of smaller regions are ignored.

> However, while the intent may have been facilitatory, we did draw lines on
> the map too.  We didn't necessarily have to, but we did.   However, in ICP-2
> there is a clear intent that these lines should be at "large geographical

RIRs are not in the business of guessing the sum of intent
.

The requirements of proper stewardship are clear;
take steps to preserve the region's resources for
networks in the region.

Don't encourage obtaining resources from ARIN because
the policy might be seen as more lax or more susceptible
to manipulation by members of other regions, or other reasons
that are not sound technical basis for an out-of-region network
to require ARIN region resources.

Encourage to obtain resources as fully justified PA allocations from
ARIN-based ISP/LIRs instead.

--
-JH