[arin-ppml] ARIN Draft Policy 2011-5: Shared Transition Space

Chris Grundemann cgrundemann at gmail.com
Wed Jul 6 14:55:12 EDT 2011

Thanks for the input David, a couple comments below:

On Tue, Jul 5, 2011 at 19:13, David Farmer <farmer at umn.edu> wrote:
> ----
> 7. IANA Considerations
>
>   This memo includes no request to IANA.
>
> I believe it is better for IANA to officially make the actual allocation
> under the direction of the IAB, but since IANA no longer has the inventory
> necessary for such an action it should coordinate with ARIN as the donor of
> the space.

The actual request for the space is contained in the much more
succinct draft-weil-shared-transition-space-request. This draft is
meant to provide an analysis of the need, not make the request (since
it has already been made in draft-weil).

> ----
> Finally, I'm not sure this goes in any specific place, but I have an issue
> with the overall tone. In my opinion the current draft has more of a tone
> that an allocation of a /10 for Shared Transition Space is the best and only
> solution to this problem.
>
> Where the really is more that none of the options, including this
> allocation, are a universally good solution to this problem, many of the
> other options are valid in some cases.   We need to set a more pragmatic
> tone, there are no universally good solutions here, and what ever the
> shortcomings of this solution, it is necessary for some operators.  So lets
> make the allocation of a /10 for Shared Transition Space that is a necessary
> option for a number of operators and allow everyone move on to implementing
> IPv6.

In general I (and to the best of my knowledge, the other authors)
agree. We tried to present all of the options and provide an analysis.
IMHO, a full analysis of the available options does result in the
conclusion that shared transition space is needed, likely not for all
providers / situations but for enough that the reservation makes
sense; apparently this shows through in the I-D.

Do you have any specific examples of where the text appears biased, or
any suggestions on how to improve the overall tone? This is a rough
draft and we welcome further input.

Thanks!
~Chris

> David Farmer               Email:farmer at umn.edu
> Networking & Telecommunication Services
> Office of Information Technology
> University of Minnesota
> 2218 University Ave SE      Phone: 612-626-0815
> Minneapolis, MN 55414-3029   Cell: 612-812-9952

@ChrisGrundemann
weblog.chrisgrundemann.com
www.burningwiththebush.com
www.theIPv6experts.net