[arin-ppml] ARIN-prop-131: Section 5.0 Legacy Addresses

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Mon Jan 31 14:54:05 EST 2011

On Mon, Jan 31, 2011 at 12:02 PM, cja at daydream.com <packetgrrl at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 31, 2011 at 9:58 AM, Martin Hannigan <hannigan at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Do you think that this will suffice?
>>
>> "Upon expiration of the hold period and in the absence of a Global
>> Policy or Globally Coordinated Policy directing otherwise, legacy
>> resources returned to ARIN will be made available for allocation."
>
> I think it should say "made available for allocation or assignment"

Right. Allocation and assignment are loaded words in ARIN-speak. If
you specify the one but not the other in policy, you restrict the
usage of those addresses. You could also say something like "made
available for registration," without using either of the two loaded
words.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

p.s. Yes, I'm sad to report there is in fact an ARIN-speak -- words
and phrases with special meanings overloaded on the plain English,
meanings that tend to obstruct outsiders' understanding both in the
debate and the policy documents. This is unfortunate since it harms
ARIN's accessibility to the public, but that's a crusade for another
day.

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004