[arin-ppml] ARIN-prop-128: Replacement of Section 4.2.4.4

David Farmer farmer at umn.edu
Wed Jan 26 13:35:39 EST 2011

I do not support this proposal.  If there were strong data showing a
high certainty that ARIN would have significantly more than a years
supply of resources after IANA run-out, I might be convinced to change
the trigger point from IANA run-out.  But that is not the argument
provided in the rationale of this proposal.

Section 4.2.4.4 cannot be looked by itself, it is paired with section
4.2.4.3. "Subscriber Members Less Than One Year", these subscribers are
limited to a three month supply and have been for a long time.  I find
it difficult to justify a continued disparity between these two classes
of subscribers as we are on the verge of run-out of IPv4 resources.  If
ARIN has less than a year of resources available, it will be impossible
for subscribers currently covered by the first policy to ever receive
resources from the ARIN free pool via the subsequent policy.

Proper stewardship of resources does not allow for a change in section
4.2.4.3, but that 4.2.4.4 should be changed to rectify the above
disparity in the face of IPv4 run-out.

In the discussion of Draft Policy 2009-8, it became clear that any
trigger point before IANA run-out was unacceptable and there was a great
deal of uncertainty about how long the ARIN free pool would last after
IANA run-out.  This is why IANA run-out was selected as the trigger
point for 2009-8.

ARIN has been consuming about three /8s for the last few years, so if
the proposal's analysis is correct on that amount of resources ARIN will
have after IANA run-out, one might be lead to believe ARIN could have as
much as two years of resources available.  However, that does not
account for any increased demand within the ARIN region as a reaction to
run-out or any shift in demand that can reasonably be expected as other
regions run-out, specifically APNIC and RIPE, which most projections
show running out before ARIN.  Most projections I have seen do not show
ARIN's post IANA run-out resources lasting significantly more than a year.

Therefore, I do not believe there is sufficient evidence that the basic
facts of the situation have changed significantly enough to warrant
changing the trigger point.

David Farmer               Email:farmer at umn.edu
Networking & Telecommunication Services
Office of Information Technology
University of Minnesota
2218 University Ave SE	    Phone: 612-626-0815
Minneapolis, MN 55414-3029   Cell: 612-812-9952