[arin-ppml] ARIN-prop-127: Shared Transition Space for IPv4Address Extension

George Bonser gbonser at seven.com
Fri Jan 21 13:28:06 EST 2011

We
> all want all objects to support IPv6 and the transition to be easy and
> smooth. Wouldn't it be nice if we could turn off IPv4 when we were
done
> in a reasonably short period of time...
>

> However:
>
> 1) CPEs that do support IPv6 will provide SLAAC or DCHPv6 only to
> objects that will accept it.
> 2) Some objects behind the CPE will accept IPv6 / Dual stack, most
will
> not.
> 3) Many objects behind the CPE are not capable of being upgraded via
> software to support IPv6.
> 4) The average person does not know how to take a software update
> unless a window pops up and says 'click here to install updates'.
> (Extremely unlikely to be able to perform a firmware upgrade).
> 5) Many CPEs must be replaced to support IPv6.
> 6) Many customers will not replace their CPE even if a new one arrives
> for free.
>
> All of these things are bad and I am sure the list could go on far
> longer than this one.
>
> - My grandfather still had a pulse phone until last year when the
> telephone company finally forced him to pay for touch tone and
replaced
> his phone for him.
> - X.25 is still heavily in use today (ATM machines etc)
> - People still have VCRs
> - People still have broadcast television
> - People still have pagers
>
> IPv4 will very likely be around for 20+ years.. Sad, but still true.
>
> Cheers,
> Aaron

And I still believe we need to drive a stake through its heart at some
point and actively kill it.  Basically to say "you can use v4 if you
want in private networks or between individual networks but it isn't
going to be supported ubiquitously on the global Internet after $DATE".

The reason is that the bailing wire, super glue, rubber bands, and
chewing gum needed to continue supporting it results in a mess.  At some
point networks will be staffed with techs that never even learned v4 in
school.