[arin-ppml] ARIN-prop-127: Shared Transition Space for IPv4 Address Extension

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Fri Jan 21 13:08:11 EST 2011

> Regardless of what we do, NAT444 is a necessary evil. It's just a question
> of how much remaining address space (if any) we want to use in the
> commission of said evil.

In case anyone missed the subtlety of Wes's statement here... The
answer to that question is:

A.	A single /10 shared by everyone worldwide
B.	Lots of smaller block (likely totaling quite a bit more than a /10)
	that are not shared between the different providers each of whom
	is forced to go acquire their own.

In the event that B transpires, there is exactly 0 gain to any ISP for
sharing and many many downsides if they do.

As this is unfolding and I consider what will happen if this is not
deployed, I now support this proposal.

Owen