[arin-ppml] ARIN-prop-126: Compliance Requirement

Jack Bates jbates at brightok.net
Wed Jan 12 11:15:43 EST 2011

On 1/11/2011 10:20 PM, Jimmy Hess wrote:

> So people are lazy,  therefore have  incomplete or out of date
> reassignment info,
> is that what you are implying?

Depends on what you consider incomplete or out of date. My whois info,
which is mostly the original allocations from ARIN entries and perhaps a
regional based entry (used for my own tracking and to indicate to law
enforcement subpoena information on a telco basis) is very accurate. All
contacts are the same. There's no reason to provide more information to
the community, as the only additional information which might be
provided is the size of each pop DHCP pool or business assignment, which
only servers to provide extra information they should have to work to
gain knowledge of (for whatever nefarious purposes they want to know
it). Otherwise, they can happily contact us as the users of the space
and front end service desk to our customers.

> That would be a reason to consider implementing a proposal such as PP126 or
> something similar, not a reason to abandon it, because it would be evidence
> that the policy measures currently provided  are not sufficient  in
> themselves to
> induce compliance with the policy,  even by orgs who are innocent of fraud.

The proposal only adds additional functions and changes time to current
policy. The functions that exist are good enough. If it is serious
enough for ARIN to revoke rDNS, then it is serious enough for them to
revoke the entire allocation/assignment.

> As you say "The only time I do paperwork is when I have to do paperwork."
> That would  suggest the  re-assignment policies currently in effect,
> and contact
> information  requirements would only be effective with robust enforcement
> measures.

ARIN doesn't overly enforce them now when new allocations are requested.
A single generic level of SWIPs generally need to exist, and they are
happy. After that, they'll ask for the details of a specific block
(usually the last allocated) in the usual host/service layout. The goal
of section 12 is about utilizing space from what I've gathered; not that
someone didn't issue a whois for every little assignment.

Jack