[arin-ppml] Discussion Petition of ARIN-prop-125 Efficient Utilization of IPv4 Requires Dual-Stack

Chris Grundemann cgrundemann at gmail.com
Thu Jan 6 20:58:38 EST 2011

this policy and I have agreed on a much lighter weight version of
prop-125. Although I can not revise the proposal while it is under
petition, I would like to share the new text with everyone and ask for
your support. If the petition is successful, I will submit this new
text as version 2.

~Chris

Changes in this version:
 1) Added parallel IPv6 networks in addition to dual-stack.
 2) Removed the explicit application to transfers.
 3) Removed all retro-active requirements.

## Policy Statement:

* Add the following sections to section 4.1:

4.1.2. Efficient Utilization

IPv4 addresses are a finite resource and as such are required to be
efficiently utilized by resource holders in order to maximize their
benefit to the community.

4.1.3. IPv6 Deployment

4.1.3.1 Dual-Stack

Dual-stack refers to configuring both an IPv4 and an IPv6 address or
network together on the same network infrastructure.

4.1.3.2 Parallel Deployment of IPv6

Parallel deployment of IPv6 refers to the building out of a second,
parallel IPv6 network along side of an existing IPv4 network. In order
to be considered a parallel deployment of IPv6, the IPv6 network
infrastructure may be physically or logically seperate from the IPv4
network but must provide the same functionality and services.

4.1.3.3 Efficient Utilization of IPv4 Requires Ipv6

All new IPv4 addresses assigned or allocated to an organization must:
 - be deployed on dual-stacked interfaces along with IPv6 addresses, or
 - be deployed along with a parallel deployment of IPv6

4.1.3.4 Service Parity

When IPv4 addresses are used to provide an Internet facing service,
the service must be fully IPv6 accessible.

* Add the following sentance to the end of sections 4.2.1.6,
4.2.2.1.2, 4.2.2.2.1, 4.2.3.1. and 4.3.4:

In accordance with section 4.1.3, all new addresses must be deployed
with IPv6 addresses and all Internet facing services provided by new
addresses must be fully IPv6 accessible.

* Re-write section 4.2.3.4.1. to:

Reassignment information for prior allocations must show that each
customer meets the 80% utilization criteria, the IPv6 deployment
criteria and must be available via SWIP / RWhois prior to your issuing
them additional space.

-- --
chris at theIPv6experts.net