[arin-ppml] Semi-serious proposal to start 2011

Kevin Kargel kkargel at polartel.com
Mon Jan 3 14:02:24 EST 2011

My basic feeling is that some people will move early because it is fun and they are adventurous, some will move because they can see the business advantage to being a front runner, but most people will move when they have to and not before.

Artificial pricing structures and taxes and artificial roadblocks are almost always bad.

It is not ARIN's responsibility to ensure that individual networks transition smoothly.  All ARIN can do is make the information available and hope that people take advantage of it.

My forecast:
Bolstering an artificial IP market to try and do some profit taking will be a great disservice to the community. I am convinced it will happen because the greedy people are more motivated to make it so than the rest of us are to prevent it. Once IP's are declared property (if you can trade it or buy it or sell it or rent it or lease it then it is manageable as property, no matter how strenuously you protest) then government regulation and taxation will be soon to follow.  Bad things will happen after that.

IMHO the best thing we could do is to maintain the current SOP and let IPv4 experience a steady predictable runout.  Any attempts at micro-managing the runout will only rearrange the inevitable and create chaos and will have only minor if any affect on the runout date.

Kevin