[arin-ppml] Please try the strong arm tactics first - was Re: ARIN-prop-136 Services Opt-out Allowed for Unaffiliated Address Blocks

Jimmy Hess mysidia at gmail.com
Sat Feb 26 11:49:43 EST 2011

On Fri, Feb 25, 2011 at 9:56 PM, Warren Johnson
<warren at wholesaleinternet.com> wrote:
> ================================
> Ipv4 depletion has the potential to reshape the entire Internet; and I don't
> mean by changing to ipv6.  If IPv4 becomes valuable property and people
> can't get what they want, they're going to do very naughty things.
> Remember, the corporation exists to make money for its shareholders so all
> they're going to do is consider the potential legal costs associated with
> litigating the RIR if they're caught and factor that into the cost of what
> they're doing.  I do not envy the registries.  They're in a very tough spot.

If that actually happens...  the RIR community will have to deal with
the eventual reality of  government investigations and
intervention,  specifically,  possibly a run-in with congress,
the ITU, FCC, etc.   Which would hurt the entire community, not just
the legacy holders and ARIN, whose policymaking process would be
co-opted,  and  there would be other unpredictable outcomes.

Conflicts of that nature with sufficiently naughty things being done
by major players would be proof that the industry failed to self-regulate,
necessitating that the government respond to the crisis by coming in to
"help" as in imposing some number assignment policy to force participants
to behave.

Since the internet has been elevated to the status of  "important" for
national security purposes,  should naughty things involve IP hijacking
happen, endusers will cry out to their representatives for help, when
they cannot access their Facebook,  because someone's doing naughty
things hijacked its IPs;   the larger the disruption caused by any addressing
misbehvaior; the greater the danger,  if  a conflict with ARIN is somehow
involved....

In the face of the risk of possible regulation,  the RIRs would
desperately need to establish their legitimacy, to continue to
exist at all, which means using all reasonable means necessary to
ensure an RSA or anything else required to enforce its policies
applies to all resources  under its stewardship.

Using strong arm tactics FIRST is not really rational;  if the objective
is to maximize stability of the internet,  the minimal "force" necessary
should be used to get as many 'out of good standing' resource
assignments as possible under  proper RSAs..

Strong arm tactics, if considered at all, should only be considered
in an emergency, after other options have been exhausted

--
-JH