[arin-ppml] ARIN-prop-136 Services Opt-out Allowed for Unaffiliated Address Blocks

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Fri Feb 25 16:56:19 EST 2011

On Feb 26, 2011, at 5:48 AM, Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:

> Heh heh heh heh heh.  No wonder you guys wanted that transfer policy
> so bad.  You don't play poker without heat, now do you?

Actually, I'll admit I'm not a poker player, so the reference may
be lost on me. I don't "want" or "make" policy, although I do get
the honor of being accountable for its implementation.  Without
any form of  transfer policy, there is little doubt that we would
have underutilized resources that were likely to never be returned
for reuse.  As many have already noted, a "market" is one method
of providing the right incentives for redistribution, and a market
which also respects the allocation policy and its goals seems to
provide a mechanism for redistribution without losing the benefits
of the current policy framework.  This is how I explain what was
done by the community when asked by those outside of ARIN, so I
hope the explanation helps.

/John

John Curran
President and CEO