[arin-ppml] ARIN-prop-136 Services Opt-out Allowed for Unaffiliated Address Blocks

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Fri Feb 25 15:09:06 EST 2011

On Feb 26, 2011, at 3:53 AM, Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:

> Ah.  Let me ask then - if a legacy POC is determined to be
> illegitimate and marked as such, then what is current ARIN
> practice - do you attempt to contact any squatter, or do
> you reclaim and reassign the resource, or do you simply do nothing?

POC validation will get them marked as unresponsive, but we
are unlikely to determine them invalid unless it is the result
of a fraud report, and yes, we try to determine whether the
original resource holder is still out there somewhere.

> But that assumes you can contact them, that the original entity
> exists.  What if it does not?  Or what if you contact them and
> they don't know who you are and what your talking about and
> can't answer your questions?

That happens... Generally, we can find someone who knows
the relationship and then we work to document it.  If it's a true
squatter, they usually disappear at our first contact. If we can
find the original resource holder, we change it to them, and if
not we reclaim the resource and put it in hold down for reuse.

FYI,
/John

John Curran
President and CEO