[arin-ppml] ARIN-prop-136 Services Opt-out Allowed for Unaffiliated Address Blocks

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at ipinc.net
Fri Feb 25 14:37:31 EST 2011

On 2/25/2011 10:29 AM, John Curran wrote:
> On Feb 26, 2011, at 2:15 AM, Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:
>>
>> John, the community has given clear direction that such resources,
>> when brought to your attention, are to be marked as bogus in whois.
>> In fact, you are SUPPOSED to be seeking out and marking these
>> as such.
>>
>> Or is there some clarity issue with section 3.6.1 of the NRPM?
>
> There is no issue regarding 3.6.1 (POC validation) - we are
> performing it and give updates on it at each Public Policy
> meeting.  I was referring the NRPM section 12.

You had stated:

"...To do so simply because an registration
was out of date and pointed to the original resource holder
(despite obvious use by an unrelated party now)..."

John, please explain how a an out of date registration
that points to the original resource holder despite
obvious use by an unrelated party now, is NOT being
deemed by ARIN staff to be completely and permanently abandoned.
Seems to me by even making that hypothesis you are designating
that legacy resource as abandoned - you are ARIN staff after all.

ARIN cannot have it's cake and eat it too - if ARIN says
a resource is being used by an unrelated party, then section
3.6.1 states "the POC record shall be marked invalid"

Is it ARIN's position that legacy resources that are marked
invalid are NOT available for reclamation because of section
12.8 somehow prohibiting ARIN from taking action?

Because if that is ARIN's view then IMHO we need a policy proposal that
modifies section 12.8 and directs ARIN to reclaim legacy resources
that are marked completely and permanently abandonded by section
3.6.1

It seems to me that if an unrelated party is using a legacy
resource that the first step of any legacy reclamation effort would
be to contact that party and tell them they must sign an RSA and
start paying the fees to continue using the numbers.

Ted