[arin-ppml] ARIN-prop-136 Services Opt-out Allowed for Unaffiliated Address Blocks

Matthew Kaufman matthew at matthew.at
Fri Feb 25 12:49:43 EST 2011

On 2/24/2011 11:30 PM, Benson Schliesser wrote:
> Hi, John.
>
> On Feb 24, 2011, at 12:51 PM, John Curran wrote:
>> If the intended benefit of ARIN-prop-136 is to actually to
>> propose alternative transfer policies, it would be best to
>> propose the specific changes to the transfer policy section
>> of NRPM.
> The intended benefit of ARIN-prop-136 is to accommodate organizations that do not consent to be regulated by ARIN policy.

I just don't see how they opt-out under this policy. ARIN still provides
the uniqueness (and can assign the addresses to someone else if they
believe that something improper has happened, see the repeated veiled
threats about ARIN simply updating the database it controls)... ARIN
still provides the reverse DNS service... ARIN still provides the
pointer to the whois service.

Without actually moving the block in question from ARIN to another RIR
that doesn't yet exist (and cannot be created using the ARIN PDP), I'm
not sure how there's any improvement under this policy.

Matthew Kaufman