[arin-ppml] ARIN-prop-136 Services Opt-out Allowed for Unaffiliated Address Blocks

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Fri Feb 25 03:46:45 EST 2011

On Feb 25, 2011, at 4:31 PM, Benson Schliesser wrote:
> I have no argument opposing that ARIN is obligated to perform according to its own bylaws and agreements (with ICANN, RSA holders, etc).  My statement is that ARIN lacks authority to exert regulation over unaffiliated organizations, such as legacy holders that haven't signed a LRSA.  If such an organization decides to transfer addresses without consulting ARIN, and ARIN enforces policy over that organization as a result of their actions, then ARIN has exerted authority.  Where does such authority come from?

ARIN has full authority to manage entries in the
ARIN Whois database.

> I'm glad to hear that.  On the other hand, this statement doesn't exactly reinforce your previous comments about community driven policy development.  Is it really board-driven and/or staff-driven policy development?

The policy is community-developed, per the Policy Development
Process (PDP) <https://www.arin.net/policy/pdp.html>  The PDP
was adopted by the Board as part of ARIN's performance of its
mission.

> Yes, I read ICP-2 before asking the question.  It appears to prefer ("should") a single RIR per region, and gives reasons for a centralized management structure.  However I don't see where ICP-2 limits the ability of an RIR to choose the specific implementation details of that management structure.  Can you clarify further?

Please ask your question in the context of your policy proposal
136 so that I may address the question.  As it is, I am unable
to determine if you are suggesting that alternative registries
would be an "implementation detail of that management structure"
within the ARIN region.

Thanks!
/John

John Curran