[arin-ppml] ARIN-prop-136 Services Opt-out Allowed for Unaffiliated Address Blocks

Benson Schliesser bensons at queuefull.net
Fri Feb 25 02:35:15 EST 2011

Hi, Chris.

On Feb 24, 2011, at 6:55 PM, Chris Grundemann wrote:
> I would propose working within the existing, open and transparent,
> system to solve any potential problems.

I agree, and I think that a number of policy proposals might improve the existing system.  However, I don't think that we can force an organization to this same conclusion.  If somebody dislikes the existing system, we cannot make them use it.

One approach to this dilemma is the pursuit of official authority, so that ARIN can enforce policy on everybody in the region.  The alternative approach, which I have taken with prop-136, is to reconcile policy with the current reality.

Cheers,
-Benson