[arin-ppml] LRSA requirement for resources being transferred (Was: ARIN-prop-136 Services Opt-out Allowed for Unaffiliated Address Blocks

Matthew Kaufman matthew at matthew.at
Thu Feb 24 20:17:03 EST 2011

On 2/24/2011 5:13 PM, Scott Leibrand wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 24, 2011 at 4:58 PM, Matthew Kaufman <matthew at matthew.at
> <mailto:matthew at matthew.at>> wrote:
>
>     And note, by the way, that I am currently OPPOSED to this policy
>     proposal.
>
>     But also believe we need a way to allow transfers to happen
>     without risk to the seller in the case where the seller hasn't
>     signed the LRSA. (Specifically, the case where one starts a
>     transfer, signs the LRSA only because it is required for the
>     transfer, and then the transfer fails to happen for external
>     reasons... how can one un-sign the LRSA at that point?)
>
> I think this may indeed be the crux of the issue at least in many cases

This is half the issue. The second is a perception that if one could
transfer legacy non-LRSA resources to another party without that party
having to sign the LRSA, those might in fact be slightly more valuable
to said third party (and thus command a higher price).

It isn't necessarily of benefit to ARIN to further this dichotomy, so
this is a harder one to solve.. but the first one is probably more
important (and easier) to solve if we want to.

Matthew Kaufman