[arin-ppml] ARIN-prop-136 Services Opt-out Allowed for Unaffiliated Address Blocks

Matthew Kaufman matthew at matthew.at
Thu Feb 24 20:02:53 EST 2011

On 2/24/2011 4:58 PM, Milton L Mueller wrote:
> [...]

How about "see the second half of what I wrote"?

> The allocation function, which maintains uniqueness, is functionally separate from the Whois service.
> One could, therefore, opt out of ARIN-provided Whois and continue to use ARIN as the unique registry. See: registrar-registry split in DNS.

Right, so one has "half" opted out, but is still entirely "opted in" for
the purpose of uniqueness (and reverse DNS service and who knows what
else). This helps me how?

>> In the first of those three cases, one hasn't "opted-out" of anything.
>> ARIN is still the ICANN-recognized holder of the record of unique
>> registration, even if it is simply a pointer to a more-easily-changeable
>> thing. (Why ARIN would want to point to (or ARIN's members would want
>> ARIN to point to) something which could be changed outside of community-
>> developed policy, I don't know)

I'll repeat. Why would ARIN or ARIN's membership want to have the whois
function now be a pointer to an entity that doesn't follow
community-developed policy for the records changes?

And if the third party *will* follow the community-developed policy then
how is it any better than having ARIN provide the function?

Matthew Kaufman