[arin-ppml] ARIN-prop-136 Services Opt-out Allowed for Unaffiliated Address Blocks

Milton L Mueller mueller at syr.edu
Thu Feb 24 19:39:25 EST 2011

Good points, John. In terms of details, I don't think it's all that complicated for ARIN to start the process by making it clear that bulk access to its Whois data could be provided on request to other organizations that abide by the restrictions of the bulk access agreement (e.g., no use for marketing/spam). Other RIRs could easily make the same commitment. Frankly, I think providing bulk access to the party who has requested it is not prevented and may be required by current policy.

In theory, you are correct that the broader contours of policy regarding competitive registries should be developed globally. I'd support that. As a matter of historical fact, however, most such policy innovations don't follow prescribed channels, they tend to be provoked by some disruption that originates opportunistically in one location and then spreads to another.* Nevertheless, ICANN and its ASO could and should initiate a process to deal with it. I'd help with such an effort though don't have the cycles or resources to take responsibility for it, and am not well positioned as the ASO is at present representative of no one by the RIRs.

One obstacle to a global policy develop process using ICANN as a venue is that ICANN's legitimacy and authority are constantly undermined by the USG and GAC, which compete with it for policy authority. This encourages parties to run to governments when they don't get the results they want from the ICANN process. Given the increasingly high stakes in address policy, I can only imagine how such a scenario might play out in address policy.

--MM

* think IAHC,