[arin-ppml] ARIN-prop-136 Services Opt-out Allowed for Unaffiliated Address Blocks

Benson Schliesser bensons at queuefull.net
Thu Feb 24 13:39:48 EST 2011

>  Indeed, I cannot posit any situation in which it would be of any appreciable benefit to me ever, full stop.

As a small block holder (/24 IIRC?) that is involved in ARIN policy discussion, you may be correct.

> I'm left to wildly speculate that it would only really benefit someone looking to carve out a new registry business model for themselves.

The immediate benefit would be for large block holders (with excess resources) to monetize their addresses, and for buyers and/or lessors who need these excess addresses.

In the near future there may be benefits in terms of RPKI services, Loc/ID split services (routing facilitation), and other advanced services that could be developed by a commercial routing registry.

Prop 136 would open up these opportunities for legacy holders.  Subsequent policy would be needed to apply the opportunity to the rest of ARIN (RSA-covered) community.

Cheers,
-Benson