[arin-ppml] ARIN-prop-136 Services Opt-out Allowed for Unaffiliated Address Blocks

Benson Schliesser bensons at queuefull.net
Thu Feb 24 12:35:56 EST 2011

Hi, Joe.

On Feb 23, 2011, at 9:42 PM, Joe Maimon wrote:

> ARIN wrote:
>> ARIN-prop-136: Services Opt-out Allowed for Unaffiliated Address Blocks
>>

> ARIN members wish ARIN to strive for uniqueness. That is its raison detre. Excluding numbers from the database of unique numbers is impossible. It is either unique or it is not and it must be recorded as such.

I understand your point of view, and in fact I was motivated to create prop-136 in order to deal with this issue.  To be clear: prop-136 doesn't remove anything from the Whois, unless requested by a legacy holder, and then only if the legacy holder is providing a rWhois service.

> Encouraging fragmentation is a trojan horse that will serve to undermine credibility and faith in ARIN. I dont support any proposals that may cause that, much the same way that I dont support proposals that serve merely to escalate tensions between ARIN and its members, in the most expansive form of the term.

I actually intend prop-136 as a tool for avoiding escalating tensions.  Where prop-133 would require legacy holders to "opt-in", instead prop-136 allows legacy holders to "opt-out".  If the ARIN community rejects them both, we're essentially saying that legacy holders have "no option" in being regulated by ARIN.

This may or may not be the wish of the community.  But I hardly think that such a statement would result in relaxed tensions.  Thus prop-136 offers a compromise.

Cheers,
-Benson