[arin-ppml] ARIN-prop-136 Services Opt-out Allowed for Unaffiliated Address Blocks

Joe Maimon jmaimon at chl.com
Wed Feb 23 22:42:21 EST 2011

ARIN wrote:
> ARIN-prop-136: Services Opt-out Allowed for Unaffiliated Address Blocks

ARIN members wish ARIN to strive for uniqueness. That is its raison
detre. Excluding numbers from the database of unique numbers is
impossible. It is either unique or it is not and it must be recorded as
such.

Encouraging fragmentation is a trojan horse that will serve to undermine
credibility and faith in ARIN. I dont support any proposals that may
cause that, much the same way that I dont support proposals that serve
merely to escalate tensions between ARIN and its members, in the most
expansive form of the term.

> 13.x.1. Requirements for Whois Opt-out

Lets not forget RWHOIS - but I presume you are not referring to that.

Whois is not just a service provided to the holder of the block. It is a
service provided to the world for various good reasons.

But more importantly, it is a service to the ARIN members reflecting the
values of the database of uniqueness.

This database of uniqueness is what ARIN members value about ARIN. The
more complete it is, the better.

The holders of the resources presumably have no need of the Whois entry
to support their hold on the resources. If they do, then if and when
ARIN revokes resources not held by a contracted member, they may lose
uniqueness value with little recourse. I suggest they sign a contract
sooner than that.

Intentionally degrading whois relation to reality for no other purpose
serves no one.

The LRSA is already a form of opt-in, allowing for a continued implicit
opt-out.

Joe