[arin-ppml] [Fwd: Draft Policy 2011-5: Shared Transition Space for IPv4 Address Extension]

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Tue Feb 22 20:37:17 EST 2011

On Feb 22, 2011, at 3:17 PM, George, Wes E [NTK] wrote:

> [...]
I don't have the time or resources to provide you with a scientific study, but, my rough
experience encountering those devices across a wide range of SMB and SOHO
environments where I have done consulting is that there is no safe haven within
RFC-1918 where some significant proportion of these devices are not deployed.
I have encountered boxes which default to:

	1.	Random 10.x.x.x subnet
	2.	10/8 (literally assigning randomly from the /8)
	3.	172.16.0.0/12
	4.	172.16.0.0/16
	5.	172.16.0.0/24
	6.	192.168.x.0/24	(Where X= {0,1,5,10,12,17,22,54,79,100,128, 172,192,224,245})
	7.	192.168.0.0/16
	8.	Completely random subnet picked from entire RFC-1918 range
			(As in when you factory-refresh the device, it picks some random
			10, 172.x, or 192.168 /24 at random. Kid you not.)

In addition to this, I've seen more than a handful of situations where someone chose
to reconfigure the default to some other arbitrary RFC-1918 range. I've encountered
this in a sufficiently high incidence to believe that depending on the defaults to
save you is unlikely to create a positive outcome.

When this was brought before the IETF, I was also unconvinced. After discussing
the matter in person with several affected providers at the Cable Labs meeting,
I became convinced of the problem. It's not like I didn't bring up all the things
you are saying during that discussion.

Owen