[arin-ppml] [Fwd: Draft Policy 2011-5: Shared Transition Space for IPv4 Address Extension]

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Tue Feb 22 13:42:33 EST 2011

Huh?

I'm not pretending that there aren't CPE NATs. If anything, yours is the position that
fails to recognize the meaning and result of CPE NATs.

If you're talking about the fact that these exist in the VZW world, yes, I'm aware of that,
but, each of those units was:

	1.	Preconfigured by VZW
	2.	Deployed in an environment where the expected external address is
		RFC-1918 and this was coordinated up front.

That's a very different scenario from an ISP that needs to deploy another layer
of NAT onto an existing subscriber infrastructure where their current expected
external addresses are not RFC-1918 and there was no provider input or
coordination into the CPE interior addressing scheme(s).

Owen