ARIN-PPML Message

[arin-ppml] ARIN-prop-133: No Volunteer Services on Behalf of Unaffiliated Address Blocks - revised

While the factory load may not support it, there is downloadable software
that has pretty complete IPv6 support (including DHCPv6-PD) and privately
available that's even more complete .

The DIR-655 support an IPv6 firewall, but the 615 and 825 currently do not.
Look at ARIN' IPv6 wiki for more detail, as there are different hardware
models with varying levels of capabilities.

Frank

-----Original Message-----
From: arin-ppml-bounces at arin.net [mailto:arin-ppml-bounces at arin.net] On
Behalf Of Ted Mittelstaedt
Sent: Sunday, February 20, 2011 7:44 PM
To: arin-ppml at arin.net
Subject: Re: [arin-ppml] ARIN-prop-133: No Volunteer Services on Behalf of
Unaffiliated Address Blocks - revised

<snip>

The factory load on the DIR-615/655/825 series does not support
dhcpv6-pd from what I have read, nor does it support ANY firewalling
for IPv6.  That is the primary difference
in functionality from the Comcast build for the 160NL that is
on Sourceforge.  Note that there is not enough space on the 4MB
flash routers (like the DIR-615) to run dhcpv6-pd & ipv6tables (needed
for the SPI stuff for IPv6)

<snip>

Ted

On 2/20/2011 4:11 PM, Frank Bulk wrote:
> Yes -- without naming names, one of the three leading CMTS vendors has no
> IPv6 support (Q3 at the earliest).
>
> In regards to CPE, the D-Link DIR-655 with the latest firmware is pretty
> IPv6 ready.  It sells for $70 at Amazon.com, probably a bit more at your
> local electronics retailer.  See
> http://www.getipv6.info/index.php/Broadband_CPE for more info (most don't
> have an SPI firewall).
>
> Frank
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: arin-ppml-bounces at arin.net [mailto:arin-ppml-bounces at arin.net] On
> Behalf Of George Bonser
> Sent: Friday, February 18, 2011 4:33 PM
> To: Owen DeLong; Jeffrey Lyon
> Cc: arin-ppml at arin.net
> Subject: Re: [arin-ppml] ARIN-prop-133: No Volunteer Services on Behalf of
> Unaffiliated Address Blocks - revised
> <snip>
>
> But is there any gear being sold today that doesn't support v6?  I know
> two vendors that can't do dynamic routing protocols on v6 yet but their
> gear is more aimed at the layer2 switching market anyway and do support
> v6 switching, addressing, and static routes which probably covers the
> vast majority of their use cases.  All of the stuff I have in the layer3
> area of the network supports v6 and that is four different vendors.
>
> At this stage finding vendors who don't support v6 is more difficult
> than finding the ones that do.  The one problem area is xDSL CPE.
> Everything else is pretty much there in one form or another and simply
> takes more usage in order to shake the cobwebs out of it.
>
> _______________________________________________
> PPML
> You are receiving this message because you are subscribed to
> the ARIN Public Policy Mailing List (ARIN-PPML at arin.net).
> Unsubscribe or manage your mailing list subscription at:
> http://lists.arin.net/mailman/listinfo/arin-ppml
> Please contact info at arin.net if you experience any issues.
>
> _______________________________________________
> PPML
> You are receiving this message because you are subscribed to
> the ARIN Public Policy Mailing List (ARIN-PPML at arin.net).
> Unsubscribe or manage your mailing list subscription at:
> http://lists.arin.net/mailman/listinfo/arin-ppml
> Please contact info at arin.net if you experience any issues.

_______________________________________________
PPML
You are receiving this message because you are subscribed to
the ARIN Public Policy Mailing List (ARIN-PPML at arin.net).
Unsubscribe or manage your mailing list subscription at:
http://lists.arin.net/mailman/listinfo/arin-ppml
Please contact info at arin.net if you experience any issues.