[arin-ppml] Proposal: Clarification of draft policy 2009-3 (ARIN-prop-135)

Benson Schliesser bensons at queuefull.net
Fri Feb 18 17:07:48 EST 2011

On Feb 18, 2011, at 3:07 PM, Jeffrey Lyon wrote:
> I'm opposed to any policy that even comes close to allowing ARIN to give resources back to IANA

I don't believe IANA wants the resources, per se.  But I am in favor of a policy that transfers excess resources to other regions if there is a demand.  Of the various ways this could be done, I primarily support a market approach (including specified transfer).  But it appears that prop 135 (and 131) deals with addresses that are reclaimed/returned to the ARIN pool, and it's not clear how ARIN would participate as a marketplace participant.

With some exceptions, the availability of low-cost addresses from ARIN would preempt the emergence of a widespread marketplace approach.  But once the ARIN pool is empty, a marketplace approach may emerge and address prices will rise/fall with demand/supply.  Thus, the question becomes, what should ARIN do with additional supply that becomes available after the ARIN pool is exhausted and a marketplace approach has emerged?  I.e. What happens when the ARIN supply that is currently dwindling begins to grow again?

I do not think ARIN should dump these back into the market at low prices, because of the potential market volatility and because of "fairness" questions that might emerge (i.e. who gets to buy these cheap addresses?).  Instead, ARIN should offer them at market prices, provide them charitably (to non-profits in ARIN region), or transfer them to regions for use in developing economies.  Of course, by the time the ARIN pool begins to grow again, it might be because we've transitioned to IPv6 and nobody wants these IPv4 things.  We only need to worry about the possibility of an event in the interim.

Cheers,
-Benson