[arin-ppml] [Fwd: ARIN-prop-131: Section 5.0 Legacy Addresses - revised ver. 3] revised ver. 4

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Thu Feb 17 15:53:57 EST 2011

On Feb 17, 2011, at 3:23 PM, Owen DeLong wrote:
> On Feb 17, 2011, at 11:53 AM, John Curran wrote:
>>
>> As the ARIN Board has already adopted ARIN-2009-3, we need to make
>> sure that 2009-3 (if/when made global) will not conflict.  We can do
>> that by including in pp 131 that no legacy space shall be designated
>> for return to IANA (if that is the intent of the policy proposal).
>>
>> This avoids having 2009-3 somehow become active and we having a conflict
>> in adopted policy in NRPM, and having to establish precedence of various
>> sections, etc.
>>
> 2009-3 provided that ARIN could return legacy space according to policies
> adopted in the ARIN region. Since no such policies exist I don't see a
> conflict between this policy and 2009-3. I do see a conflict between this
> policy and traditional operational practice, but, I would say that policy
> should generally override operational practice if a conflict arises between
> them.

Owen - It's not just "policies", it's "policies and strategies" in 2009-3:

"Each RIR through their respective chosen policies and strategies may
 recover IPv4 address space which is under their administration and
 designate any such space for return to the IANA"

To the extent that the intent of policy proposal 131 is to specifically
prevent returning space to IANA, it should state that very clearly, since
it is preempting existing adopted policy language.

Otherwise we end up with language in the PPML which specifically allows
space to be returned to IANA (according to policies and strategies) and
language elsewhere which states that space will be made available for
registration and distribution in the ARIN region.

/John