[arin-ppml] [Fwd: ARIN-prop-131: Section 5.0 Legacy Addresses - revised ver. 3] revised ver. 4

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Thu Feb 17 15:23:30 EST 2011

On Feb 17, 2011, at 11:53 AM, John Curran wrote:

> On Feb 17, 2011, at 2:40 PM, William Herrin wrote:
>>
>> Can you clarify that? Which global proposal and what was the conflict?
>
> As the ARIN Board has already adopted ARIN-2009-3, we need to make
> sure that 2009-3 (if/when made global) will not conflict.  We can do
> that by including in pp 131 that no legacy space shall be designated
> for return to IANA (if that is the intent of the policy proposal).
>
> This avoids having 2009-3 somehow become active and we having a conflict
> in adopted policy in NRPM, and having to establish precedence of various
> sections, etc.

2009-3 provided that ARIN could return legacy space according to policies
adopted in the ARIN region. Since no such policies exist I don't see a
conflict between this policy and 2009-3. I do see a conflict between this
policy and traditional operational practice, but, I would say that policy
should generally override operational practice if a conflict arises between
them.

Owen