[arin-ppml] [Fwd: ARIN-prop-133: No Volunteer Services on Behalf of Unaffiliated Address Blocks]

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Wed Feb 16 22:35:53 EST 2011

On Feb 16, 2011, at 9:40 PM, Benson Schliesser wrote:

> It doesn't matter how absurd the notion of addresses as property might appear on the surface ... the ability to route IP addresses has value.

Please note specifically that  entry in ARIN's Whois database does not
provide "the ability to route IP addresses"  (reference: NRPM 4.1.1) but
I believe your point is understood.

> I don't think that we can recover enough resources to help the overall community, no matter how we approach the recovery process.  But we might be able to find enough resources to help those that are willing to pay for them.  And holders might be more willing to provide resources if they're compensated.

The ability for address holders to be compensated for providing resources
is not precluded by the present specified transfer policy (NRPM 8.3), and
there are parties pursuing such.  Can you elaborate on how Prop 133 would
change this situation?

> Admittedly, prop 133 doesn't deal with this topic directly.  But it would open
> the door to allow legacy resources alternative governance, market policy, etc.

That is a interesting theory, particularly in light of the present set of global policies
in the Internet number registry system.

FYI,
/John

John Curran