[arin-ppml] ARIN-prop-133: No Volunteer Services on Behalf of Unaffiliated Address Blocks

John Santos JOHN at egh.com
Wed Feb 16 19:18:15 EST 2011

On Wed, 16 Feb 2011, Owen DeLong wrote:

> > There's no special right, just the right to use the addresses as
> > they always have, not subject to capricious revokation or random
> > reallocation or reassignment of their addresses by an organization
> > with whom they have no contract or business relationship.
> >
> Speaking only for myself...
>
> I think it is unfair to characterize any ARIN revocation, reallocation,
> or reassignment that has taken place as capricious.
>
> To the best of my knowledge, ARIN has always had very good reasons
> supported by policy developed by the community for each and
> every resource that has been revoked, reallocated, or reassigned
> with the possible exception of some accidental duplicates, in which
> case, what was done was an attempt to minimize and disruption
> to the parties involved, usually with the cooperation and consent
> of the parties.
>
> Owen

I should have been more clear:  "Capricious" wasn't meant to be a
characterization of ARIN's past actions, but a worst-case fear for
the future.  Some of the proposals that have been made here in the
past would I think qualify, but none has come close to passing.

Sanity and fairness always seem to have prevailed at least as long
as I've been lurking on PPML, which I think is one of the strongest
arguments for preserving ARIN's role.

--
John Santos
Evans Griffiths & Hart, Inc.