[arin-ppml] ARIN-prop-131: Section 5.0 Legacy Addresses - revised ver. 3

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Wed Feb 16 18:47:26 EST 2011

On Wed, Feb 16, 2011 at 2:00 PM, ARIN <info at arin.net> wrote:
> ARIN-prop-131: Section 5.0 Legacy Addresses
> Policy statement:
>
> Section 5.0 Legacy Addresses
>
> 5.1 Returned Legacy Addresses
>
> Legacy IPv4 addresses returned to or recovered by ARIN will be made
> available for registration and distribution in the ARIN region.

SUPPORT.

Per https://www.arin.net/announcements/2010/20101020.html (emphasis mine):

"After the hold period, ARIN will follow global policy at that time
and ***return it to the global free pool*** or distribute the space to
those organizations in the ARIN region with documented need, as
appropriate."

Allow me to be the "bad guy" here. We don't want addresses ARIN works
and spends our money to recover to go in to the global pool. We want
them to go in to the ARIN pool for allocation and assignment back to
us. That's why we intentionally never set terms under which ARIN could
return addresses to IANA during the whole global transfer policy
argument last year.

This proposal clarifies our community's preference that ARIN-recovered
addresses be deployed in the ARIN region.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004