[arin-ppml] ARIN-prop-133: No Volunteer Services on Behalf of Unaffiliated Address Blocks

On Feb 15, 2011, at 5:50 PM, John Santos wrote:

> I am in the exact same situation as Eric.  Legacy /24, no RSA nor LRSA,
> not really clear on the exact obligations and restrictions on my
> original assignment, but I have a pretty clear sense of what was
> expected, including maintaining current POC, WHOIS and RDNS info,
> and that the assignment was for use, not a windfall that I could just
> sell to someone else if I didn't need it any more.

That's a good summary of many legacy holders expectations (at least as
I understand it from speaking with just a few of them...), but I should
note that in the ARIN region that last line has actually been modified
per community-developed policy, in that you may transfer the assignment
to another party which qualifies per the current allocation policies.
This means, in effect, you could get a "windfall" from the assignment,
except it may not be much of a windfall given the work of renumbering
that you might have to go through to free up the block.  This was seen
as a reasonable tradeoff by the community, but is still short of the
"you can do anything you like with it, it's yours" policy proposals
that are now in vogue.

John Curran
President and CEO