[arin-ppml] ARIN-prop-133: No Volunteer Services on Behalf of Unaffiliated Address Blocks

On Mon, Feb 14, 2011 at 13:48, Benson Schliesser <bensons at> wrote:
> On Feb 14, 2011, at 3:41 PM, Keith W. Hare wrote:
>> My interest in maintaining the status quo for legacy resources is that the system currently works. Unless a change is going to be a large benefit to the internet community, what is the point of changing?
> IPv4 exhaustion is a change that won't benefit the Internet community*, but it's happening.  We really can't expect the status quo to be maintained forever.
> Cheers,
> -Benson
> * - Well, not in the short-term at least.  Once we have critical mass of IPv6, I think it will benefit us all... But that's a different discussion.

While I am not as optimistic about the dates of critical mass
of IPv6 adoption as some in the community, I see little reason
to invest efforts in ARIN IPv4 policy at this point unless there
is a clear benefit to the community in the migration to IPv6.
This policy proposal would seem to result in a distraction for
the community and ARIN in dealing with legacy holders of
IPv4 space, would seem to have operationally negative
consequences, and does nothing to move forward with IPv6.