[arin-ppml] ARIN-prop-133: No Volunteer Services on Behalf of Unaffiliated Address Blocks (fwd)

John Santos JOHN at egh.com
Mon Feb 14 21:30:56 EST 2011

Shortly after I made my initial response to prop 133, I recieved this
email.

1) Do I understand it correctly?  Are these people offering to sell me
the RDNS and WHOIS service I currently receive from ARIN for free?

2) Is this proposal a Trojan Horse for an attempt to unilateraly
privitize ARIN?

3) Is it an attempt to get an unregulated (i.e. not need-based) market
in under the radar?

Is the "illusionary claim" it purports to free me from the prohibition
against selling my (unroutable, most likely) Class C to the highest
bidder?  Not that I would do that in any case, because I'm pretty sure
when I obtained it from the InterNIC in 1993, it was clear that the
assignment was based on need and if we didn't need it any more, we
were supposed to return it.

In any case, it would cost in the 5 digits for us to renumber
and coordinate with all our network partners (firewalls, VPNs, etc.)
not to mention future costs due to no longer having globally unique
address space, selling is a definite non-starter even if was otherwise
acceptable.

4) Is this email a violation of the ARIN PPML acceptable use policy
due to being SPAM?

--
John Santos
Evans Griffiths & Hart, Inc.