[arin-ppml] ARIN-prop-133: No Volunteer Services on Behalf of Unaffiliated Address Blocks

Keith W. Hare Keith at jcc.com
Mon Feb 14 17:24:11 EST 2011

Jeff,

>Specific to this proposition, I find it fundamentally flawed that I
>have to pay for something that another receives for free merely
>because they got in first.

For years, ARIN mostly ignored legacy resource holders so legacy resource holders mostly ignored ARIN.

Not long after I joined the ARIN Policy mailing list, there was a big flap about how legacy resource holders were not paying their fair share of the ARIN costs. I went off to the ARIN web site and could not find any way for a legacy resource holder to voluntarily bring their resources under ARIN's control. So I ranted a bit about how the evil legacy resource holders were not taking advantage of some unavailable mechanism to pay their fair share.

I think this discussion (about July, 2007) was some of the impetus for the creation of the LRSA. The LRSA was initially released in November, 2007, a bit over three years and three months ago. Since then, ARIN has been working to get legacy resource holders to buy into the LRSA, but this is an ongoing process.

How does this proposal benefit you other than somehow sticking it to the legacy resource holders who are receiving services for free?

Keith