[arin-ppml] ARIN-prop-133: No Volunteer Services on Behalf of Unaffiliated Address Blocks

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Mon Feb 14 16:44:27 EST 2011

On Feb 14, 2011, at 4:10 PM, Dan Pinkard wrote:

> As I read this, the goal is to defeat using the whois registration as a tool to beat the heads of those who may consider signing the LRSA. I agree with that notion, especially as it makes it clear that forcing people into policy in a heavy-handed way can easily run-afoul of legalities and simple good-will. However, as it has been pointed out, we don't really want to lose that resource for the people who do pay. However unfair of those who don't pay up a little, the larger disservice would be to remove that all together. And what of the gray area for organizations who have some stuff under RSA and some stuff that should be LRSA if anyone were motivated to do it?

Dan -

ARIN has been providing WHOIS and Reverse DNS services to legacy space holders
without charge since inception.  Aside from this particular policy proposal, I
am not aware of any proposal for ARIN cease providing these services.

> It seems like taking away the baby's rattle is a good step, but not that way. What other means are available to motivate organizations to bring legacy space under the LRSA that don't cause other problems? If we're loking at the larger picture of parceling out unused or underutilized IPv4 space, is there a way ARIN can ease those needs in trade? (Is there a desire to help or harm that?)

I do not believe that the intent of this particular policy proposal is to
encourage legacy holders to enter into an LRSA agreement with ARIN, but
Benson can better address his actual intent with the policy proposal.

/John

John Curran
President and CEO
ARIN