[arin-ppml] ARIN-prop-131: Section 5.0 Legacy Addresses

Benson Schliesser bensons at queuefull.net
Mon Feb 14 15:32:34 EST 2011

On Feb 14, 2011, at 2:23 PM, Owen DeLong wrote:

> Legacy and other addresses returned should be treated the same.
>
> Once an address is returned to ARIN, it is no longer a legacy address.
>
> This policy does not make sense so long as it singles out legacy addresses.

I agree with Owen on this.

ARIN should only accept returned legacy addresses from holders in the ARIN region.  But, once accepted, that address space has been effectively transferred to ARIN.  It is up to ARIN policy to decide whether to return that block to IANA, reallocate to new requests, etc.  And there are no technical reasons to treat address blocks differently, as far as I'm aware.

Cheers,
-Benson