[arin-ppml] ARIN-prop-133: No Volunteer Services on Behalf of Unaffiliated Address Blocks

Benson Schliesser bensons at queuefull.net
Mon Feb 14 13:30:33 EST 2011

Hi, John.

On Feb 14, 2011, at 11:40 AM, John Curran wrote:
> On Feb 14, 2011, at 11:49 AM, ARIN wrote:
>>
>> 13.2.4. Formal Records Clarifying the Chain of Custody
>>
>> ... If these records
>> clearly document the assignment or allocation of a given IP address
>> block to a specific organization by direct assignment, and/or
>> organizational transitions such as mergers, acquisitions, business unit
>> restructuring, asset transfers, name changes, and so forth, absent
>> definitive documentation to the contrary, then these records will
>> determine whether an organization is the legitimate address holder.
>
> Benson -
>
> For clarity, this would result in an "assignment" taking place for an
> IP address block independent of any other contrary policy developed by
> the ARIN community, correct?

I think you understand the effect of the text, yes.  But my answer is a bit more nuanced:

Policy proposal 133, in section 13.2, would have ARIN recognize assignments that take place beyond ARIN's scope.  In other words, the act of ARIN recognizing the new legitimate address holder is not what creates the assignment; the assignment would have already taken place and ARIN would simply be recognizing that fact.  If the assignment was not legally permitted (e.g. for addresses received under RSA or similar RIR contract, or if the assignment was otherwise prohibited by law) then ARIN should probably not recognize the assignment when considering the impact on existing evidence.

Please let me know if I can clarify this point further, or if you have any other questions or comments.

Cheers,
-Benson