[arin-ppml] inevitability of NAT?

Jack Bates jbates at brightok.net
Thu Feb 10 11:05:04 EST 2011

On 2/10/2011 9:42 AM, Benson Schliesser wrote:
> In the meantime, until PCP is available, users should consider
> turning off UPNP support in their gateway to make sure apps don't
> rely on it when they're behind a CGN.

User got a faulty DSL modem a few months back. uPNP wasn't enabled per
the norm. User was unable to use some xbox functionality.

The degree at which things are depending on uPNP has grown to making it
almost mandatory. Turning it off is likely to lead to things breaking.
In addition, no protocol is going to fix LSN well. I don't think any
studies have really been done to see at what scale applications are
currently using uPNP to (port forward, open firewall). This places
practical limits on the number of people doing a certain thing while
behind a single IP.

Jack