[arin-ppml] inevitability of NAT?

Scott Helms khelms at zcorum.com
Wed Feb 9 17:53:09 EST 2011

On 2/9/2011 5:46 PM, Owen DeLong wrote:

> End users want to be able to do their hosted games on their Playstation. End users want to be able to get to their home networks through services like Go2mypc or whatever it's called (I don't need a service, I don't use NAT, so, I don't pay a lot of attention to the services available).

I can't name a mass market service today that doesn't work through NAT
and the ones you point out are certainly do.

Playstation Network works, by design, flawlessly through NAT and is
_not_ a peer to peer application.  All traffic goes to the PSN servers
and then to clients.  Go2MyPC is designed for NAT and in fact one could
argue that it wouldn't exist if NAT weren't wide spread.

--
Scott Helms
Vice President of Technology