[arin-ppml] inevitability of NAT?

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Wed Feb 9 17:46:08 EST 2011

On Feb 9, 2011, at 11:47 AM, Charles O'Hern wrote:

> On 2/7/11 1:21 AM, Owen DeLong wrote:
>>
>> On Feb 6, 2011, at 10:47 PM, Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:
>>
>>> On 2/6/2011 8:36 AM, Lee Howard wrote:
>>>
>>> and end users all have an interest in
>>>
>>> wrong.  End users absolutely need inexpensive - and I'm talking $60 and
>>> under - stateful packet inspection hardware firewalls.
>>>
>> Your statement is absolutely correct except for the first word.
>>

> Perhaps this is just semantics (and perhaps I'm just in a cynical mood), but I agree with Ted here.  "wrong" is the correct term simply because "interest" is the wrong term.  End
> Users all do not have an interest in avoiding NAT.  Most end users don't even know what it really does.  As long as their stuff works and they have the illusion of security and
> privacy, they are happy.  (or at least less malcontented)

End users have an interest in avoiding NAT even if they don't know what it is or why they are interested in avoiding it.

End users want to be able to do their hosted games on their Playstation. End users want to be able to get to their home networks through services like Go2mypc or whatever it's called (I don't need a service, I don't use NAT, so, I don't pay a lot of attention to the services available).

End users want stuff that works today to work tomorrow.

All of those things represent a strong interest in avoiding LSN at  the carrier level.

> End users will benefit from IPv6 with stateful inspection but they have more interest in streaming the superbowl while being contently assured that their MP3 and porn folders are
> 'safe' from prying eyes.

An interest in continuing to be able to stream the superbowl _IS_ an interest in avoiding LSN.

> Most end users will have to be coddled or "ninja'd" into IPv6, else the ever present threat of "going to the other provider".  Of course at the other provider, they will end up on
> IPv6 anyways because they'll accept having to buy a new CPE with new service far more often than they will to fix a problem they don't even perceive.

Oh, well, in that case, LSN is the perfect solution. LSN will definitely be a problem they will perceive.

Owen