[arin-ppml] Use of the specified transfer policy (was: "Leasing" of space via non-connectivity providers)

Martin Hannigan hannigan at gmail.com
Tue Feb 8 12:14:16 EST 2011

On Tue, Feb 8, 2011 at 3:43 AM, John Curran <jcurran at arin.net> wrote:
> On Feb 8, 2011, at 1:23 AM, Benson Schliesser wrote:

[ snip ]

>> In this situation, does the recipient have any recourse?  Who pays their legal fees, and if they lose the address block who refunds their costs?  They can sue the "seller", but I'd also expect them to also sue ARIN for incorrectly "vetting" the original legacy block holder.
>
> Litigation is common in the United States, indeed.

But as a membership organization, shouldn't we endeavor to avoid
litigation, both for the organization and for the members? We are
pooling our resources to manage addresses and that entails pooling
risk. A vibrant transfer market requires trust. Providing a mechanism
to instill trust in the transactions would seem to be key. The LRSA
does not instill trust.

Best,

-M<