[arin-ppml] Use of the specified transfer policy (was: "Leasing" of space via non-connectivity providers)

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Mon Feb 7 22:41:10 EST 2011

On Feb 7, 2011, at 7:18 PM, Martin Hannigan wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 7, 2011 at 9:53 PM, John Curran <jcurran at arin.net> wrote:
>> On Feb 7, 2011, at 10:23 PM, Martin Hannigan wrote:
>>
>>> Both. 8.3 requires the use of the STLS. They are effectively one.
>>
>> NRPM 8.3 is a policy, and ARIN will process specified transfer
>> requests from two parties which appear and meet the criteria.
>> Neither of them has to be a participant in the Specified Transfer
>> Listing Service (STLS); the STLS is simply a convenience for those
>> parties who want some help finding a match.  Think of it this way:
>> STLS is a dating service, which you don't need to use if you already
>> have a partner and just want to go (via NRPM 8.3) and get married.
>

> NRPM 8.3 is the policy related to "Specified Transfers".
>
> The Specified Transfer Listing Service is a process and it says:
>
> "ARIN’s Specified Transfer Listing Service (STLS) provides a mechanism
> by which validated organizations may identify potentially
> complementary parties suitable to participate in a transfer of IPv4
> number resources per ARIN’s Number Resource Policy Manual, section
> 8.3, “Transfers to Specified Recipients”
>
> That's a direct linkage and from my perspective its adjunct policy.

The STLS is absolutely dependent on and linked to NRPM 8.3.

NRPM 8.3 is NOT linked in the other direction. You are completely
free to engage in an NRPM 8.3 transfer without using STLS.

> I'm not sure why you are saying that this is optional. It certainly
> does not appear to be optional. As usual, thanks for the explanation.

Perhaps you misunderstand the meaning of the English word
"may". in what you referred to as direct language above.

Perhaps there is some other issue.

STLS has a one-way dependency on NRPM 8.3.

NRPM 8.3 does NOT depend on STLS. If you read NRPM 8.3,
I think that is pretty clear. There is not even a reference to STLS
in NRPM 8.3.

Owen