[arin-ppml] Desirability of a more efficient transfer market (was: "Leasing" of space via non-connectivity providers)

Scott Leibrand scottleibrand at gmail.com
Sun Feb 6 15:54:14 EST 2011

On Feb 6, 2011, at 8:50 AM, John Curran <jcurran at arin.net> wrote:

> There is another effect of having a documented-need requirement
> in the transfer policy: because the existing allocation policy
> only provides for short-term relief of a service providers needs,
> transfers via the policy can only meet short-term needs for IPv4
> address space.  I do not believe that this aspect was discussed
> in any detail during the policy discussion, but would also warrant
> consideration.

We did discuss (and adopt) policy that allows for orgs to meet 1 year of justified need through transfers, as opposed to 3 months for post-IANA-exhaustion allocations and assignments from the ARIN free pool.

If anyone believes that 1 year is not optimal, or that we should change transfer policy in any other ways, I suspect we'll start to see data to inform the debate over the next year or so as demand for transfers solidifies, so I'm guessing we'll likely want to discuss possible amendments to transfer policy before too long.

-Scott