[arin-ppml] "Leasing" of space via non-connectivity providers (was: Re: And so it ends... )

Jack Bates jbates at brightok.net
Sun Feb 6 10:30:34 EST 2011

On 2/5/2011 11:32 PM, Benson Schliesser wrote:

> The specified transfer service, in its current form, is not sufficient to facilitate efficient distribution.  A less-regulated market would be much more dynamic and appealing to buyers and sellers, especially at this stage.

The problem, i believe, with a less-regulated market is that we'd see
much smaller address block transfers, which would jeopardize core
routing (as if it's not going to be bad enough). A lot of individual /24
transfers could prove very dangerous for us, while the parties involved
in such transfers may not understand or care about the problem. Removing
ARIN completely would destroy what use is left in the whois database.

One of the stated goals of ARIN is to protect routing tables from bloat,
which is reflected in the minimum requirements to receive an allocation.
This doesn't, in practice, actually protect the tables, as there are
many who deaggregate their allocations, but that is beyond the control
of ARIN.

Jack