[arin-ppml] "Leasing" of space via non-connectivity providers

Jack Bates jbates at brightok.net
Sat Feb 5 00:52:10 EST 2011

On 2/4/2011 11:04 PM, Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:

> You have circuits today from networks that meet your requirements.
> Let's assume that you don't have your own numbers and so you get numbers
> from them.  10 years from now, you have deployed those IPv6 numbers to
> business customers who don't want to renumber and those networks are
> no longer meeting your needs - and you will be in exactly the same
> position.

I don't think I was clear. I have a /19 worth of sprint space which
wasn't renumbered when I renumbered into my first /18 from ARIN. Since
then, I've grown to a total of a /16 worth of space, but those 2 /20's
aren't going away until they decide they no longer went the IPv4 addresses.

> Every ISP that goes from LIR-assigned numbers to their own numbers
> goes through this.  I went through it myself.  I also went through it
> again when we acquired an ISP.  In both cases I renumbered instead of
> keeping old circuits going.  And with the benefit of hindsight today,
> I think the decisions I made to renumber instead of keeping old
> circuits going were some of the smarter decisions I have made.

Don't get me wrong. I probably should have renumbered them. The cost
benefit wasn't worth it, though. It still isn't. Forcing a renumber on
those blocks would cost me much more revenue (if they are going to
renumber, the business customer might just go to the competitor while
they are at it) than paying for a sprint circuit.

Jack