[arin-ppml] "Leasing" of space via non-connectivity providers

Scott Helms khelms at zcorum.com
Fri Feb 4 15:25:33 EST 2011

Hi Bill,
> Enforce it in the breach: start with a complaint from the lessee who
> isn't being allowed to transfer the addresses at ARIN. If the
> complaint is sustained, that both triggers an involuntary transfer
> (assuming the registrant qualifies and pays the ARIN fees) and a full
> audit of the lessor's allocations.
That makes sense, though the cost of investigation could be
problematic.  I suppose we could have "community investigation" which
would help gather data about the networks for ARIN to look at.

> ARIN won't have to go looking for this. IF there's a real problem,
> ARIN will be deluged in complaints from the folks whose address
> lessors won't sell.
>
> In other words, your practices would be at very low risk, especially
> if you allow folks a reasonable buyout when they're ready to move out
> from under your umbrella.
We do and we also help ISPs navigate through getting their own ASN and
IP space and understand why they need to do certain things like turning
in the blocks they were given by their backbone provider once they do
get an allocation from us or directly from ARIN.

--
Scott Helms
Vice President of Technology