[arin-ppml] "Leasing" of space via non-connectivity providers (was: Re: And so it ends... )

George Bonser gbonser at seven.com
Thu Feb 3 16:21:51 EST 2011

>  As long as number resources are being put to productive use,
>  and the whois database is kept up-to-date with regards to
>  who's actually using the space, I'd be hesitant to try to
>  micromanage the arrangements between consenting parties...

I agree with this.  Unless something is broken, ARIN has enough to do without attempting to enforce philosophical positions.

The thing is that allocations from ARIN are based on the conditions that existed at the time the resources were allocated.  Say someone qualified for a /16 and got it, then used it for a number of years but 15 years later find their business has shrunk and they aren't using all of that allocation anymore.  Now they certainly wouldn't qualify for a new allocation but I am not aware of any policy (not saying one doesn't exist, just saying that I am not aware of any) that requires a regular audit and periodic re-justification of issued resources.

One might easily have a few scattered /24 nets within a larger allocation that they don't plan to use for a while.  Those now become a potential source of revenue.  I see nothing wrong or "dishonest" with allowing someone else to use such a block provided the network leasing the space legitimately qualifies for the space and isn't simply some "snowshoe" spammer looking to churn through address space.  There comes the rub but it is really no different than the situation today.  I would guess that most of the IP address leasing today (noting exceptions mentioned in this thread) are people who for one reason or another either wouldn't qualify for a direct allocation or don't want to go through the paperwork.  That will change after runout to include people who *do* qualify for more space but it isn't available.

So the bottom line is that I don't believe the problem will get worse than it currently is because as it stands today the majority of the people "leasing" IP address resources are people who wouldn't get it otherwise.  After runout that percentage will change and most of the leasing would be from people who are just fine but can't get the resources otherwise.  The "bad guys" are already doing it.  This proposal would just make it harder for the "good guys" after runout.