[arin-ppml] "Leasing" of space via non-connectivity providers (was: Re: And so it ends... )

Leo Bicknell bicknell at ufp.org
Thu Feb 3 13:59:04 EST 2011

In a message written on Thu, Feb 03, 2011 at 01:49:54PM -0500, William Herrin wrote:
> Any other sensible ways to slice and dice the issue?

Well, one is to recognize at least one form of this happens now,
and the parties are sometimes ok with it.

I've seen folks multi-home using PA space (with the providers
blessing) and then drop the provider who gave them the space.
Depending on the relationship I've seen grace periods as long as
12 months to renumber out of the space.  During that time they are
effectively "leasing" only the space with no transit.

I'm not sure if we ned to take action in this space or not, but if the
action makes this sort of semi-common arrangement against the letter of
the law it will significantly weaken people's opinion of the rules.